This article covers:
- How to add a Marketo Email Channel Source
- How to setup referrer mapping for Marketo campaign
- How to setup API credentials
- How to map your Marketo/CRM lead status fields to CAKE
- How to customize your reporting columns
- How to place Marketo tags
- Viewing Marketo clicks, conversions and leads
How to add a Marketo Source
Hover over the main Channels tab > go down to Sources > select Add a New Source
Name: Plain text name of this source (Marketo recommended as naming convention)
Integration Type: Marketo
Create a Campaign
From the Marketo Source card select the Campaigns tab > Add Campaign
Channel: This field should auto-populate to be 'Email'
Source: This field should auto-populate to be 'Marketo'
Site: Associate this Source to a Site in your system
Price Format: This field wil default to the Price Format set at the site level. CPA, CPC, CPM, Fixed or Revshare
Payout: Populate $0 as a placeholder
Setting up Referrer Mapping
1. Login to your Marketo instance
2. Navigate to Admin (top nav) > Email (left nav) > Branding Domain
3. Copy your Branding Domain URL to your clipboard
How to Setup API Credentials
You will need to gather 4 pieces of information in Marketo and then copy and paste that information in the main Setup tab > Third Party Integration Settings > Marketo Settings
This is the the URL of your REST API endpoint.
In Marketo, navigate to Admin > Integration > Web Services > Rest API > Endpoint then copy the URL to your clipboard, excluding the "/rest" portion.
Client ID & Client Secret
For Client ID and Client Secret you must setup an API Role & API User in Marketo:
1. Navigate to Admin > Users & Roles > Roles > New Role
2. Name the new Role and grant the Role API access
3. Navigate to Admin > Users & Roles > Roles > Users > Invite New User and create the new API user by checking the API Role you just created and the API Only checkbox
4. Navigate to Admin > Integration > LaunchPoint > Installed Services > New > New Service
5. Then create a new 'Custom' service using the API User you just created
6. Now click on 'View Details' for the newly created Custom Service and copy the Client ID and Client Secret to your clipboard.
This is the lead field that CAKE will update 'Disposition' on. This is typically going to be a lead status field that is also mapped from Marketo to your CRM such as Salesforce. You can find the Filter Type field on the Site card > Integrations tab.
TIP: ASK THE PERSON AT YOUR COMPANY WHO WENT THROUGH MARKETO ON-BOARDING TO ASCERTAIN THE PROPER FIELD TO MAP TO
1. In Marketo, Navigate to Admin > Field Management > Export Field Names. This will generate an Excel spreadsheet. On the spreadsheet, find the correct lead status field that Marketo pulls from the CRM. It will be the name listed under the REST API Name column
How to Map your Marketo/CRM lead status fields to CAKE:
Add Lead Statuses to Categories
In CAKE, navigate to the main Setup tab > Reasons List > Disposition widget.
You have 4 category buckets that you can map your lead statuses to:
For each bucket, add whichever lead status you would like to belong to that category
Map Marketo Lead Statuses
On the Site card > Integrations tab, map your Marketo lead statuses to the ones you just created in Reasons List > Disposition
Customizing your Reporting Columns
Using the Pending, Rejected, Approved and Returned Columns in the Channel, Offer and Source reporting grids, you can setup a Marketing Pipeline snapshot.
On each reporting grid, go to custom views and enable the Pending Rejected, Approved and Returned Columns. You can also rename them to correspond to how your marketing team categorizes their funnel.
Placing Marketo Tags
There are two Marketo tags you'll need to place - Landing Page and Thank You Page.
To generate the tags, hover over Channels > Tags > Generate a Marketo Tag
You will need to do this once each for Landing Page and Thank You Page.
Landing Page & Advertiser Website
This tag will replace your Dynamic Click Pixel and live on every page of your site, as well as on Marketo hosted landing pages.
Have IT place the tag site-wide on the advertiser website and make sure to cover any subdomain traffic that could be sent via Marketo emails.
Marketo Hosted Landing Pages
1. Navigate to your landing page in the Marketo Admin. Click on Edit Draft. The draft will open in a new tab. On the right, under 'Insert Elements' drag and drop HTML to the page.
Thank You Page
This tag will replace your Conversion Pixel and will live wherever the current Conversion Pixel(s) live(s).
Viewing Marketo Clicks, Conversions and Leads
Since you mapped the Marketing Branding Domain on the Campaign Card you will now see all clicks generated by Marketo Emails attributed to Marketo in the Click report.
Any Marketo-generated conversions will now have a Marketo Icon and Marketo Lead ID in the transaction column of the Conversion Report, along with the Lead Status Disposition of the lead in the Disposition column.
All Marketo captured leads are viewable in Marketo by clicking the hot-linked Marketo Lead ID in the Conversion Report.
If you are already logged in to Marketo, clicking the Lead ID link will take you directly to that lead in Marketo.
If you are not already logged in to Marketo, you will be prompted to login when you click the link. You will have to click the Lead ID link a second time to be taken to the corresponding lead in Marketo.